Monday, August 11, 2008

Mark Spitz Should be at the Olympics, But He Should Take the High Road There

I haven't been able to watch nearly as much of the Olympics as I would like to but I have been following them in print and on-line. One of the big stories on Yahoo today is that Mark Spitz, 1972 seven-time gold medal swimmer, is not attending the Olympics because he wasn't invited. Click the link below to read about it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news;_ylt=Alurya8b6HpuEP9IKMFqBtwazJV4?slug=afp-oly2008swimusaspitz&prov=afp&type=lgns

Unequivocally, Mark Spitz should have been invited to the Olympics. He should even have a premium, reserved seat in the natatorium as he and the rest of the world watch to see if U.S. swimmer Michael Phelps will usurp Spitz's seven medal record. I think Mr. Spitz deserves accolades, attention and respect, especially by the Olympic Committee. His lack of an invitation must have been a mistake, an oversight on the part of an overworked Olmpic staffer.

However, Spitz likely would have garnered an immediate apology and offered a ride to Beijing ASAP on a private jet if his disappointment was less petulant and minus the appearance of sour grapes. I would suggest something along the lines of: "I'm deeply disappointed not to be attending the Olympics but the truth is, I was not invited to attend. If I were invited, I'd be in the stands cheering for Michael Phelps and the rest of those devoted swimmers. I'd be thrilled to be there recalling my own Olympic victories and sharing in new ones with my compatriots."

You get the picture. Of course, I could be wrong. Mr. Spitz may already be enroute to Beijing, with the Olympic Committee apologizing all over themselves. I'm certain there will be some type of response. I can't wait to read about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment