Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Media Deflection Strategy: From Bad Economy to Bad Governing

Do you read the Wall Street Journal? If so, perhaps you should take a break. It's one bad news story after the other. It's not made up news, of course, it's real, really bad news. It appears that every company I ever heard of (or never heard of) is laying off more people than I knew they employed. It's my business to stay informed, though, so I keep reading - and wincing. So imagine my delight this afternoon when I got a WSJ email blast that was not more bad news about the economy.

No, in an attempt to get our collective minds off the financial crisis, the Governor of Illinois, Rod "I want to make money" Blagojevich, got himself arrested today on charges of conspiring to get financial benefits through his authority to appoint a U.S. senator to fill the vacancy left by Barack Obama. It's too early to say what will happen to Mr. Blagojevich, but a word of caution to his ultimate successor. The governorship of Illinois appears to be the gateway to the big house - and I don't mean the governor's mansion. That's right. Blagojevich replaced Governor Ryan, who is currently in jail. Even a PR guru would have a difficult time putting a positive spin on that sorry trend.

1 comment: