Friday, March 14, 2008

Detroit's Mayor has Nowhere to Go

The New York Time's Nick Bunkley notes today there is increasing pressure on Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick to resign (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/14/us/14detroit.html?th&emc=th).

With Eliot Spitzer's fall from grace and near immediate resignation earlier this week, many Detroit media folks have suggested Kilpatrick should follow Spitzer's example. What I haven't seen written is the reality that the Mayor has nowhere to go. He's burned almost all of his business connection bridges in Detroit; he never worked as an attorney, and even if he had, his law license is in jeopardy; he doesn't come from a wealthy family; his wife doesn't currently bring in a second income; his lovely home (the Manoogian Mansion), expensive cars and an immense security detail are paid for by the City; and his social and business calendar are filled with exciting, star-studded local, national and international travel and events also paid for by the City.

I think the Mayor should resign. But would I resign if I were him? He's already given up his dignity and credibility, but I don't think anything shy of a legal order can pry him away from his current life of luxury.

1 comment:

  1. I'm checking emails for the first time since I got to AZ and thought I'd give you a read. The mayor's troubles seem like such a distant memory at the moment. I think the vacation is doing its job! Hope things are great with you. MB

    ReplyDelete