Wednesday, March 12, 2008

On Hermes Scarves and Soon-To-Be Governor Patterson

Was that an Hermes scarf Silda was wearing at her husband's resignation press conference today? (If so, definitely not an Ann Taylor purchase!) My generous brother, Peter, bestows that ultimate fashion accessory on his dear sisters for their 50th birthday. For once, I wish I was older! Until then, I'll have to borrow from my three (much older) sisters. In the meantime, I suspect Silda will be avoiding the press conference scene for awhile. (BTW, Detroit's first lady Carlita Kilpatrick's outfit at last night's state of the city address must have tumbled out of John Travolta's closet from Saturday Night Fever: white suit and black ruffled shirt. Thankfully, she never made any famous disco dance poses.)

Kudos to new New York Governor David Patterson! Not for being the first black governor of New York, as the media consistently point out, but for his amazing accomplishments as a man who is blind. My dear friend and client, Cynthia Kidder, founder of Band of Angels (www.bandofangels.com), has taught me so much about viewing people with physical and cognitive impairments. "Focus on the sameness, not the differences!" Accordingly, Mr. Patterson should be held to the same high standards that a governor role commands. That doesn't mean we can't celebrate his accomplishments, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment