Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I Like Her Already

Please - may no one dig up any dirt on new Supreme Court Justice nominee, Sonia Sotomayer. Listening to President Obama introduce her in a live press conference this morning, I was thrilled that such a worthy and well-rounded candidate had been selected. When Ms. Sotomayer made her remarks, I was sold. She had me at thank you. This is a grateful woman, to be certain. Grateful for every blessing, every good thing, every person, every experience, every baseball game that has made her who she is. I'm a big fan of the gratitude attitude. It takes one far in life and makes the journey a joy.

A first generation American whose father died when she was 8, Ms. Sotomayer has journeyed from a public housing project to Catholic schools to Ivy League schools and to an array of corporate and judicial experiences. She was vetted by two presidents (George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton) prior to today's announcement by President Obama, and the person she admires the most in the world is her mother. ('Nuff said??) Take aside all of her judicial and personal successes and focus for a minute on the fact that Ms. Sotomayer has achieved all of this while battling diabetes since childhood. Add her to my list of most admired women and my inspiration for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment