Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Why So Dour?

As I write this, I am listening to Jim Hiller of Hiller's Market talk in a commercial on WWJ radio about his Hometown First program, noting that his markets purchase Michigan foods and products whenever possible. He adds that "we are all part of the solution" and comments on economic salvation (sorry - I recall the term but not the context.) I applaud Mr. Hiller's efforts to buy Michigan and offer some truly terrific grocery deals for us SE Michigan grocery shoppers. But why so dour, Mr. Hiller? He has a great message and he is showing that he is indeed part of the solution. At the same time, he sounds like he's delivering a death sentence to the state. Cheer up, Mr. Hiller. You are sharing a positive message - let your voice, energy and enthusiasm reflect that!

I fear Hiller's Market ad campaign is heading into the Beaumont doctor domain - the second I hear the now all too familiar gallows music, I switch the station. They are basically saying, if you don't have a Beaumont doctor - you will die!! Is it just me? I'm not a fan of the negative outcome advertising approach.

On a similar note, I heard the editor of the Detroit Free Press say a few weeks back to a crowd of PR professionals that "we are all in this together." I assume he meant to be encouraging, but he was dour. Geez, I can get down on the economy as well as the next guy or gal, but I don't recommend incorporating negative messaging into advertising and public relations opportunities.

3 comments:

  1. Leadership requires honesty. Would Winston Churchill's speeches have had the same effect if he had done them with the mien of the Oopsey the Clown? With our state in shambles and jobs fleeing faster than Geese in winter there is no room for "keeping it light". These are serious times and requires serious measures. Our HomeTown First program has generated hundreds of thousands of dollars of business for its participants. What have you done but condescend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - thank you for responding to my posting, Mr. Hiller! I stand by what I said,though. You are sharing a strong message of action and hope - I think your delivery should reflect that with positive energy and enthusiasm. I have heard this comment from others as well.

    I commend you for taking the initiative to keep Michigan going and growing. If you prefer that I remove my posting, I'm happy to do so. No disrespect was intended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. I'm sure you've heard the new versions of the ads on the radio, but this time done by son Justin? - k.rusak

    ReplyDelete